Technical Hot and Cold is equipped to perform expert pressure testing on residential plumbing systems. When new plumbing is installed during home construction or a renovation project, local building codes may require an inspector to test the pipes. Technical Hot and Cold conducts thorough pressure testing, in effort to avoid excess fees or a failed inspection. Even if a building inspector doesn’t test your pipes, it is still a good idea to have a pressure test performed to verify the quality of the installation and to address any leaks before they become more serious.
Request a Quote
Steps and Procedures - Pressure Testing in Metro Detroit
- We Prepare the system when the entire system is installed, pipes are dry, and the main water supply turned off.
- Block DWV (drain-waste-vent) or water pipes at T-fittings close to the main stack, and plug all openings such as drains and fixture stub-outs.
- Connect the air pump and pressure gauge to the DWV or water line at a suitable access point, like a cleanout fitting.
- Turn on the air pump until the pressure gauge registers five pounds per square inch (PSI).
- Check the pressure gauge at intervals for at least 15 minutes. If the pressure remains constant at five PSI, your lines are airtight and have passed the pressure test. If the pressure drops, a leak check is performed.
- Check for leaks by tracing the path of your DWV or water pipes and inspecting for any signs of a slow leak, for example, a soft hiss of escaping air. We also test for leaks at fittings by applying a little soapy water and watching for bubbles created by moving air.
- Once we’ve identified the source of any leak, we address the problem by reseating or replacing loose or defective fittings, or compromised sections of pipe. We then conduct a new pressure test to confirm the problem is solved or determine what remains to be done.
Expert Pressure Testing – Metro Detroit Plumbing
Technical Hot and Cold is the premier pressure testing service provider for plumbing in Macomb County, Wayne County and Oakland County, Michigan. We specialize in HVAC parts and services as well as customized refrigeration. Contact us today.