Ice machines are considered food equipment and must be maintained and cleaned to promote healthy, sanitary conditions. Proper maintenance and cleaning of your ice machine also increases performance and ice machine longevity. If not cleaned regularly, ice machines can accumulate biofilm, a mold/slime agent that will reduce the function of the ice machine and the health and safety of your ice.
Benefits of Ice Machine Cleaning and Sanitation
- Sanitary ice production
- Health code compliance
- Promotes ice machine functionality
- Increases ice yield
- Extends life and increases performance
- Keeps producers safe from fines and health related incidents/lawsuits
- Promotes the health of the general public
Ice Machine Cleaning Products from Technical Hot and Cold
Technical Hot and Cold offers comprehensive ice machine maintenance and cleaning with specially designed cleaning products that increase performance and promote healthy ice production. We also sell ice machine cleaning products to commercial ice machine users who wish to protect their ice machine investment through scheduled cleaning and maintenance.
Ice Machine Mold and Bacteria Control
Technical Hot and Cold provides ice machine cleanings for all makes and models. We will thoroughly clean and disinfect your ice machine ensuring all mold, mildew and other pathogens known to be harmful to your health are removed or remediated. Waiting to maintain or clean your ice machine can lead to sick customers and begin to affect your business. Let Technical Hot and Cold ensure that you are complying with food safety code and your customers are safe from food-borne illness. Ice Machines that are neglected or not regularly cleaned cause the spread of food-borne pathogens like Salmonella, Listeria, E. coli, Shigella, and the Norwalk virus increasing your liability as a business.
Effective Ice Machine Cleaning
Many ice machines offer a cleaning cycle that works as a sanitary benefit for regular cleaning. Ice machine automatic cleaning cycles are not affective as the only cleaning procedure to ensure safe ice production. Our technicians provide manual cleaning of the entire ice machine including water lines, dispensers, bins and all other components that can affect the sanitary quality of the ice that is being produced.
Health Inspections for Ice Safety
Health inspections can cause problems for ice machine users if they do not take proper sanitation measures to ensure health and safety. Ice being frozen, doesn’t mean it cannot contain harmful bacteria or viruses. Ice is considered food by the federal government and its production is inspected and its sanitation is enforced through the Federal Food Code.
Ice Machine Safety Code
Selections from 2009 Federal Food Code
- Chapter 1 part 1-201.10 defines ice as food. This subjects ice to the same handling and cleanliness standards as everything else including manufacturing equipment.
- Ice itself falls under 40CFR141 governing drinking water purity.
- Ice machine cleaning is governed by Food Law 2009 Chapter 4 part 602.11 section (E) item (4a and b) which states that the machines must be cleaned “at a frequency specified by the manufacturer” or “at a frequency necessary to preclude accumulation of soil or mold”.
- Ice machine sanitizing is governed by Chapter 4 part 702.11 which states that their surfaces must be sanitized after each cleaning.
- Annex 7 Form 2A, section 5 states: Federal law provides under the Criminal Fine Enforcement Act of 1984 for a fine up to $100,000 for a misdemeanor by a corporation or individual not resulting in death and, for misdemeanors resulting in death, a fine of up to $250,000 for individuals and $500,000 for corporations.